Monday, March 7, 2016

Review: Golden Son

Golden Son Golden Son by Pierce Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I put off reading Golden Son for the longest time because I recall having a hard time wading through Red Rising (although to be fair, I ended up enjoying it and giving it four stars plus a glowing review). I finally summoned the energy to start reading it upon encountering rave reviews on Goodreads—and I wasn't disappointed.

Golden Son provided a much better reading experience that its predecessor because of the improved writing. I still got disoriented by the in-your-face Ancient Roman references, but it got easier in time.

A final word: In this book, Darrow managed to utter one of the most astig (i.e., super-duper-cool-up-there-with-Gladiator's-my-name-is-Maximus-Decimus-Meridius-commander-of-the-Armies-of-the-North...-and-Braveheart's-they-may-take-our-lives-but-they'll-never-take-our-freedom) lines in popular literature I've ever had the pleasure of coming across: "Tell all who will hear, the Reaper sails to Mars. And he calls for an Iron Rain." Just read to appreciate.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment