Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: A Red Herring Without Mustard


A Red Herring Without Mustard
A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



My only regret in reading this book is postponing it for too long.

I think much has been said about the 11-year-old heroine, and all of them are true. Her sardonic observations have made me laugh out loud quite a number of times. An example:

"Immediately in front of me, a sign painted in blood-red letters on the hulk of a pantechnicon said BEWARE OF THE DOC--as if the animal in question had gone for the artist's throat before he could finish the letter G." (p.253)

How the 70-something author (and a male one at that!) has managed to figure out the inner workings of highly precocious (and intelligent beyond her years) Flavia de Luce is beyond me. Sheer talent/genius, I guess.

Flavia is the little sister I never had. Reminds me of how I was when I was her age: a (sometimes prissy) know-it-all eager to conquer the world. I'm glad that Alan Bradley wrote one more book that I haven't read yet, I'm Half Sick of Shadows. Will be seeing you around, Flavia!



View all my reviews

2 comments: