Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Postscript

Photo taken from blog.herodogawards.org

Dear Kabang,

First of all, I would like to apologize for failing to mention your name in my last blog post. I just referred to you as a heroic native dog/askal/aspin, which is a huge travesty on your part. You have a name, and you deserve to be called that. Sorry.

Second, I would like to thank you. For making me realize that I sorely underestimated the capacity of Filipinos to love dogs--the efforts to help you recover both in Zamboanga and here in Manila made me cry while watching it on the news last night. Thank you for making me believe in Filipinos again, and for reminding us that the dog is really man's best friend.

I would also like to share with you how a native dog named Stalin rescued my mother from a rabid Great Dane. My mother, then only two, had managed to escape from her yaya (caregiver) and was toddling toward the road when this humongous dog blocked her path. The dog was about to attack Mama when their family dog, Stalin, suddenly appeared and fought with the salivating Great Dane. Thanks to dogs like you I am alive today :)

I wish you a long and happy life, Kabang. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment