Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest


The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest
The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest by Dan Buettner

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Growing up, I have always been wishy-washy about my dreams. At different points in my childhood/young adulthood/adulthood, I have wanted to become a scientist, an archeologist, a brain surgeon, a supermodel (haha), an ambassador, a museum curator...and so goes on the list. But I have recently realized that until now, I would give everything up to be a writer for the National Geographic Society/Magazine/Channel (well, not really everything, but you know what I mean).

Reading D. Buettner's Blue Zones reminded me why that dream is legit to the core. I think that the book, written by a National Geographic journalist, achieved everything it wanted to achieve: feature inspiring centenarians, tell the story of different cultures that produced these centenarians, and generally spread the message that taking care of your health is of utmost importance (without being preachy and annoying).

I like the way the author divided the book into four parts for four different "blue zones" (Sardinia, Okinawa, Loma Linda in California, and Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica). It was also helpful that 75 percent of the book focused on the culture of these blue zones and on the stories of the centenarians. Somehow, when Buettner gets to the last part wherein he suggests simple ways on how to imitate these 100-year-olds' lifestyles, you have a specific idea of what you really want to be--and that is, to end up like them (with long lives and less years--if any--of disability and suffering).

As you breeze through the stories (which are like text counterparts of features on the National Geographic Channel by the way), there some non-obtrusive tips that you can take note of and practice in your own life (for example, in the Sardinia part of the book, there is a small box embedded in the text that succinctly explains the benefits of drinking goat's milk).

I know that I will read this book again and again (if only to inspire me again and again). I will recommend it to all my friends and loved ones, so they will have a concrete idea on why there is wisdom behind that (trite) health is wealth adage.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment