Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: SPQR IX: The Princess and the Pirates


SPQR IX: The Princess and the Pirates
SPQR IX: The Princess and the Pirates by John Maddox Roberts

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



With The Princess and the Pirates, the reader hits the ground running: the protagonist's archenemy is dead, one of his best friends exiled, his family's power fading. But these issues weren't really tackled in this book; instead they served as a backdrop to Decius' adventures in Cyprus.

Somehow, I could not reconcile the image of Decius as a pirate-hunter with Decius the politician or even Decius the soldier. But I guess well-born Romans were really trained to be all-around "servants" of the Senate and the People. Cleopatra in this book did not really dazzle, and I think the eventual development of her character (in this book) did not do the very interesting intro justice. Still liked the book though, and it's better than the last one for me.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment