Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: SPQR X: A Point of Law


SPQR X: A Point of Law
SPQR X: A Point of Law by John Maddox Roberts

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is one of J.M. Roberts' best. A perfect blend of history, mystery and comedy — five days after reading it and I am still grinning at the book's most comic scenes.

A Point of Law is a lesson on Roman courts: how Ancient Romans dealt with legal issues such as complaints, juries, arrests, investigations and, well, the law in general. As usual, J.M. Roberts made his characters so endearing to the reader that even "killjoy" Marcus Porcius Cato seemed so lovable. Decius Caecilius Metellus the Younger and the gang make you feel like they are your old friends, and whenever I put down another book (especially this one!) in this series, I feel really sad. If that's not amazing (as in deserving of five stars), I don't know what is. For me, a great book (regardless of its place in whatever critic or bestseller list) leaves you laughing/crying/heartbroken/mad/ecstatic for days after you've finished reading the last page.

SPQR X: A Point of Law is a WORTHY book in MY book :)





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment