Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: SPQR XII: Oracle of the Dead


SPQR XII: Oracle of the Dead
SPQR XII: Oracle of the Dead by John Maddox Roberts

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



There is one paragraph from Oracle of the Dead that made me slap my forehead in homage to its sheer comic brilliance (if you know and love the protagonist Decius, you would know what I'm talking about): "With a few of my helpers and preceded by my six lictors I rode on into the beautiful city, where I was greeted with the usual choruses of children and girls in white gowns who strewed flower petals in my path and local poets who read panegyrics in my honor. At least, I think they were panegyrics. I've never been too clear on the distinction between a panegyric and an ode. Oh well, as long as it's not a eulogy, I've no cause to complain. (p.88)"

I googled the definition of panegyric: it is "a public speech or published text in praise of someone or something." And so, Decius, again, this review is a panegyric on the SPQR series' underrated flair for storytelling. It kept me up for hours—well into the night and past my (8 p.m.) beddie time. There were comic parts that made me laugh, and parts that made me think ("Diogenes said that when a man claimed to be doing something for honor, or for patriotism, or for love of his fellow man, or any other such high-flown reason, you could be certain that the real motive was something base and shabby (p.84)"—Gitiadas the philosopher). There were even parts that made me want to weep (I refer, in particular, to the book's last page, which mentioned Julia's eventual fate).

I'm going to read other (non SPQR-related) books in the next few weeks, just to save the 13th (and last, so far) installment in this series for a sad, rainy day. I want Decius, Julia and everyone else in SPQR to keep me company by then.

And so, Praetor Peregrinus Metellus, pursuer of evildoers, smiter of the wicked, target practice for archers, friend of the wine sellers, and enemy of sobriety (p.158), here's my wish for you. May you live for as long as I live :) Be kind, J.M. Roberts :(





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment