Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion: A Mystery


SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion: A Mystery
SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion: A Mystery by John Maddox Roberts

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



And so the end has come. For the series, the Caecilii Metelli, Decius Caecilius Metellus. And for me, a great fan of SPQR, it is more bitter than sweet. Consummatum est.

If you loved the entire series, for all its hits and misses, warts and all, you would love SPQR XIII, too. SPQR XIII is one of the series' many hits, actually. And lest you misunderstand, the "misses" of the series are too few to make any difference. Say that I'm biased, flocci non facio.

The one thing I love about this series is it actually improved toward the end. Even with the protagonist getting older with each installment, the mysteries (and the adventures) become even more entertaining. John Maddox Roberts is extremely talented. If I'm going to be a series writer, I want to write like him.

I've said this before and I will say it again: if you love Ancient Rome (and the wealth of history that comes with the subject) and you want to be thoroughly entertained, this series won't fail you.









View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment