Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Lovely, poignant book. Breezed through it (easy read), but took time to reflect on the protagonist's many reflections/quotable quotes (great thing). There were many lessons learned, and situations I could actually relate to. Themes of friendship, family, bullying, homosexuality, sex, gender, child abuse, relationships were explored.

I had struggled throughout The Perks of Being a Wallflower whether to give it four or five stars. I eventually settled for four, because I feel that I have encountered the book's format and heard the main character's voice before (They say The Catcher in the Rye, but I don't know. Maybe a cross between Catcher and Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time?).

Other than that, this book is a must-read. And if you love 80s/90s music (The Smiths, etc.), then you would really appreciate it more. The Smiths' "Asleep" must have been mentioned three hundred times in Perks.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment